Frequently Asked Questions
Is prior yoga experience necessary to attend?
Not at all. It's totally optional. But if you are new, trust that our yoga instructors always offer variations to ensure you’re being challenged based on your individual level of experience. Each year there are several participants who take their first yoga class in our Costa Rican paradise.
What’s included in the retreat price?
This varies with each retreat but we strive to be all inclusive in all events. This would include: Your accommodations at Cerro Verde, prepared meals, all lectures, yoga, transportation to and from the airport and retreat activities are included.
What is the weather like?
Cerro Verde is at the edge of the mountains overlooking San Josè and has an elevation of 4,000 feet. The weather is typically warm or hot with an occasional afternoon rain shower. Evenings can be cool, so we encourage guests to bring a light sweater or jacket. During the day it can be hot, so warm weather clothes are the best.
What about travel, vaccines and money?
You will need a valid passport to travel to Costa Rica, but you will not need a Visa if you are coming from the U.S., Canada or the European Union. The drinking water is excellent at Cerro Verde, as it is in most of Costa Rica. While no vaccines are recommended, please note that there have been a few confirmed cases of Zika in Costa Rica. We recommend consulting your doctor if you are, or plan to become pregnant.
U.S. dollars are widely accepted, however if you plan to spend time offsite you may want to exchange dollars for Costa Rican Colones. We recommend not exchanging currency at the airport due to unfavorable exchange rates. Your Cerro Verde facilitator allicator can take you to a local bank upon request.
What should I bring?
- Running/hiking shoes that can get wet and good socks
- Slicker/poncho for waterfall hikes
- A personal item with meaningful value (i.e. a crystal, rock from a recent trip, shell from the beach, sobriety chip, jewelry, a meaningful keepsake, memento or poem)
- Lounge clothing, comfortable for the house, meditation, journaling
- Yoga wear (tank tops, sleeveless, shorts, leggings)
- Light fleece coat or similar for cool nights and early mornings
- Comfortable "house pants" for relaxing in house and around the property in cool evenings
Which airport should I fly into?
San Jose (SJO) Airport is about 12-25 minutes from the house, based on the time of day and the traffic at that hour. The house sits on a hillside and overlooks the airport in the distance, so it is very convenient for flying in and out of Costa Rica.